Automotive Window Tint Heat Rejection Explained

Automotive Window Tint Heat Rejection Explained

Window Tint Heat Rejection: Infrared Heat vs. Total Solar Heat

Solar heat can be a concerning factor for many, and there are window films out there promising to reject over 90% of the sun’s infrared radiation. But what exactly does that mean? Let’s explore the differences between infrared window tint heat rejection and total heat rejection or heat reflective tint.

Infrared radiation from the sun, though invisible to the human eye, is what we perceive as heat. Many window films boast an infrared rejection rate of over 90%. So, one might wonder if these films block 90% of the sun’s heat.

Unfortunately, the answer is No. Infrared radiation only makes up about 53% of the total solar heat. The remaining 47% is contributed by visible light (44%) and ultraviolet light (3%). Thus, a 90% rejection of infrared radiation doesn’t explain how the film tackles the remaining solar heat.

The Composition of Solar Heat

Solar heat consists of Ultraviolet Light, Visible Light, and Infrared Light. Let’s delve into UV and visible light to better understand the whole picture.

UV radiation, invisible and destructive, causes interior fading, skin burning, and possibly skin cancer. It accounts for about 3% of solar heat. Quality window films reject at least 99% of UV radiation, effectively blocking nearly all the heat it causes.

The remaining 44% of heat comes from visible light. More light generally equals more heat, so darker window films will typically reject more heat than lighter ones, assuming the same technology other than color.

Total Solar Energy Rejection from Automotive Window Tinting in Colorado

Shades of Window Films

Different shades of the same type of LLumar Window Film, whether dark or light, have the same infrared and UV rejecting technology. However, the darker film will reject more heat because it blocks more visible light.

But the darkness of the film is not the only aspect of heat rejection. In fact, the darkness it’s not even the biggest factor. Other factors, including the technology of the film, play a bigger role. A light multi-layer optical film like LLumar Stratos 70% can reject more heat than a carbon, dyed, or metallic film that is twice as dark.

The Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER) Metric

To have a comprehensive understanding of a film’s heat rejection ability, it’s best to consider its Total Solar Energy Rejection (TSER). TSER considers the whole solar spectrum, including infrared, visible light, and UV. A 50% TSER means the film rejects 50% of the sun’s heat – a straightforward and useful metric.

Don’t Get Duped!

Statements like “rejects up to 90% of infrared heat” may sound appealing but don’t provide the full picture of heat rejection. By relying on a robust measurement like TSER, consumers can make an informed choice on the amount of heat rejection they will achieve, steering clear of potential misunderstandings.

Providing Top-Tier Installation Excellence

Earning the distinction of a LLumar SelectPro dealer is no small feat. As the global leader in window film manufacturing, LLumar bestows the esteemed LLumar SelectPro dealer title only upon the most exceptional installation establishments. Autoplex goes above and beyond these stringent criteria by boasting impeccably clean installation bays, a team of highly proficient and seasoned installers, state-of-the-art software for precise film cutting, and a truly exceptional purchasing journey.

Count on Autoplex for the BEST Tint in the Game!

Welcome to Autoplex, where window tinting is our passion and our playground! Unlike others, we don’t pledge allegiance to any tint manufacturer – we’re all about YOU, our fantastic customers. We’re constantly on a mission to hunt down the coolest and best films out there.

And guess what? As a Formula One Dealer for LLumar Film, we’ve got access to the tinting superstar: LLumar Stratos! It blocks a stunning 64% of Total Solar Energy (TSER) with the 15% film. Nobody does it better! View all of our Window Tint Film Performance Specs

But we don’t stop there. We offer three more levels of heat-blocking films that deliver amazing performance at budget-friendly prices. So come on down to Autoplex and kickstart your car’s tinting adventure!

See our Tint Pricing & Book Online